[ltp] Kick up the Fan - R50e Fan problems - Broken governors

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:02:28 -0400 (EDT)

>>     ...except on my T42p, apparently. I'm at 600Mhz most of the time and
>> I can get the machine from a cold 48C bootup to >80C in about 10
>> minutes, which results in a hard-lockup. Just play bzflag on it for 8-10
>> minutes in full-screen mode, and it will rise over 40C in a very very
>> short period of time.

> Have you tried the suggested "DynamicClocks" "on" in Xorg.conf flag?
> Here another report:

 	Its been enabled for months, so yes. The 'full-speed' patch
seems to keep enough heat off of the GPU to make using it for moderate
to heavy OpenGL, finally possible... so far. I haven't tried it for
more than 30 minutes.

$ grep Dynamic /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(**) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicClocks" "true"
(II) RADEON(0): Dynamic Clock Scaling Enabled

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com