[ltp] T43p, fglrx, kernel 2.6.12-5, Xorg or XFree cpu usage consumes 99percent

Joerg Mauz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:09:38 +0200

hi all,

yesterday i installed my brand new ibm t43p notebook using the network
installer debian sarge/stable. so far everything went fine..
i found some really interesting howtos for setting up sata support and
other nice things this ibm model has built in.

i installed the fglrx packages from:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html

if i start gdm, kdm or just run an X or Xorg command the driver is
involved (saw that within logs and lsmod). but if i do a gdm login
using my username (i also tried to login as root), my cpu load is nearly
at 100% by a Xorg or XFree process.. now i can not kill or restart
the running xserver . even a reboot fails so i have to hard reset my
complete system :-(

if i run a kde login the same happens, so i think it should not be a
problem of gnome. i read some articles at groups.google describing a
simular problem, that was caused by the soundcard. so i checked my
alsa config, but nothing there... works perfectly using mpg321 while
i have a gdm login display. even if i shutdown (alsa) and disable
(gnome)
all my sound stuff the X system(s) run at 99percent cpu usage

as already mentioned above i tried to install a Xorg server, i thought
this might be a problem of XFree, but it doesnt seem to be a problem
of my xservers. and yes i installed the corresponding fglrx packages
depending on the X server i run ;-)

are there any information available that could help me out of these
problems ? would be great..

thanks in advance

cheers

	joerg
--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Jorg Mauz

ABS Systemberatung OHG          Tel: +49 (0)7053/9290-25
Hauffstr. 9                     Fax: +49 (0)7053/9290-64
D-75385 Bad Teinach-Zavelstein        http://www.abs.org
Registergericht Calw HRA 1031

[mailto:Joerg_Mauz@abs.org]

------ Losungen fur den Maschinen- und Anlagenbau ------