[ltp] Sound on TP390E w. Mdk 10.1 Community

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:05:37 +1000

Greetz list,

Has anyone succeeded in getting *any* sound from this combination?  I don't
even get system speaker sound, let alone soundcard. I'm not a kernel
builder (so far, anyway).

I've tried quite a few things.  modprobe is missing from this distro;  and
the drakconf program ("Mandrake Control Center") appears to be very buggy
and unfinished. Virtually nothing there for sound.  Alsa was also absent,
except for the mixer, and attempts at post-installing haven't been
successful so far - there are just too many depended-on things missing.

I'd be glad to hear from anyone who got something working.  I'm arranging
to get the Mandriva 2005SE distro on disks:  any idea whether replacing Mdk
10.1 will solve the problems with the ThinkPad?  I'm a bit loath to disturb
10.1 otherwise, since it wasn't all that easy to get the Winmodem up and
running.  Everything else works like a dream.  (First Thinkpad I've ever
owned and I bought it by accident for $90 AUD !!)

(Background, I do have sound working well with Mdk 10.1 on another notebook
(not IBM) and a desktop PC.  It just worked, out-of-the-box. Both are much
newer systems, though, with integrated SIS sound chips in both cases.)

The TP 390E has a PCI ESS card.

Thanks in advance,
Helen