[ltp] Re: Cloning a hard disk?

Bernard Tremblay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:39:13 -0400

Hi,

Did you tried G4U ("Ghost for Unix").  See the site:
http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/ .
I think that it should handle easily geometry problems with hardisks if
you have a small disk going to a bigger one.

g4u ("ghost for unix") is a NetBSD-based bootfloppy/CD-ROM that allows
easy cloning of PC harddisks to deploy a common setup on a number of PCs
using FTP. The floppy/CD offers two functions. The first is to upload
the compressed image of a local harddisk to a FTP server, the other is
to restore that image via FTP, uncompress it and write it back to disk.
Network configuration is fetched via DHCP. As the harddisk is processed
as an image, any filesystem and operating system can be deployed using
g4u. Easy cloning of local disks as well as partitions is also
supported.

It's free as free in free beer...

          regards,
                  BT