[ltp] Re: Managing network connections

Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:25:25 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, The Dave wrote:

> I'm impressed you found documentation for NetworkManager ! :)

Indeed!  It's tricky - no manpages, here at least, and nothing
comprehensive.  Second last resort /usr/share/docs paid dividends
(last resort is blank stares at the source code).

> To interrupt client applications as little as possible, NetworkManager
> sets up a caching nameserver within itself.  The /etc/resolv.conf always
> says 127.0.0.1
>
> But, it picks up the forwarding dns from DHCP.

Right - I can see the sense in that.  Just doesn't work for me,
trying to set up a least-maintenance local DNS from my minimal
linux-based router having run a full-blown one for years.  I see that
static IP support may be planned for NetworkManager, so I'll just
stay hopeful rather than hack.

Honey