[ltp] Re: Cloning a hard disk?

Javier (a.k.a AlBundy) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:24:33 +0200

On 8/20/05, Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
[...]
> I have switched drives and booted on the backup.  My Windows 98 partition=
s are
> also successfully copied, and I've booted on that.
>=20
> Neither in the T21, nor with the T42, have I been able to duplicate Windo=
ws
> 2000 or XP with this scheme.  In fact, the ORIGINAL copy will stop workin=
> properly too!  It accepts my password, shows me the Royal Hourglass, and
> returns me to the login dialog.

I suspect both 2000 and XP have some hidden information (in register?)
that doesn=B4t permit correct-operation after a backup if the backup is
located at a different <partition</<disk>/processor... than original
instalation.

Nevertheless, I've seen many sucessfull windoze2000 restores made with
ghost... (I think ghost binaries _know_ this problem, and correct it).

It=B4s only a supposition...