[ltp] No sound with Linux on T40p

John Shane linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:20:05 +0200

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 05:17:03 +0200
Cedric Ware <cedric.ware@enst.fr> wrote:

> 	Hello,
>
> I am trying to make the sound work with Linux on a Thinkpad T40p laptop.
> Several Web pages indicate that this should be no problem using ALSA and
> the snd_intel8x0 driver.  Yet I have tried with many kernels from 2.6.3
> through 2.6.13-rc6-mm1; the sound card is detected and recognized, but I
> hear nothing from the speakers.

Cedric,  below is a script with comments that are self explanatory.  It
worked for me with my X30 that has the same intel8x0 driver.  Obviously you
don't have to run them as a script, but I keep them handy that way.

John

#! /bin/sh
#
# Set of commands found in "How to make ACPI work" for ThinkPads
# describing how to start sound after suspend to disk with swsusp
# seem to work in general to get X30 sound going

amixer set Master mute >/dev/null 2>&1
amixer set PCM mute >/dev/null 2>&1
amixer set Master unmute >/dev/null 2>&1
amixer set PCM unmute >/dev/null 2>&1