[ltp] Kick up the Fan - R50e Fan problems - Broken governors

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:22:46 +1200

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 06:02, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> > i don't think that's hot enough to cause a lockup unless your
> > hardware is faulty.
>
>  	I just verified that it locks up with CPU at 49, GPU at 66,
> but I was checking the temp every 3 seconds for 45 minutes and it was
> up to 74C on the GPU for a bit, then went down to 66 and locked up. It
> doesn't seem to be specifically because of high heat, but more because
> of "extended use" of the 3D functions, I guess.

>  	I'm not sure where to go to debug it.

>  	Maybe the microcode in
> the bios? Some bug in the VGA firmware? It seems lower than the OS
> itself, but I'm not sure how much influence I have to change it.

Summarizing, it works ok when cold and then fails as it warms up.
This is a pretty common type of fault with all kinds of electronic equipment,
it's usually caused by the hot solder in a joint somewhere not wetting the
metal traces or wires properly during manufacture. It happens in production.
That's why all electronic equipment has a warrenty period.

I would suggest that you take it to IBM service and let them sort it out for
you. Hopefully, seeing as R50e is a relatively recent model, the guarantee is
still valid?

--
CS