[ltp] trackpoint kernel driver

Stephen Evanchik linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:09:03 -0400

On 8/22/05, Richard <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>=20
> However, there is just a kernel patch, as opposed to any way to build a
> new kernel module. Recompiling the entire kernel takes many many hours on
> this (a22) machine. So, is there any way to build the trackpoint module t=
> work with the kernel which I already have? (It's kernel 2.6.12-8mdk from
> Mandriva 2006 Beta 2).

The answer is that 'it depends.' If your kernel has the PS/2 mouse
driver configured as a module then you can just patch the kernel
sources that match your running kernel and make the psmouse module
only. However, if your mouse driver is built in to the kernel then you
will have to recompile.

You can check for this by grep psmouse /proc/modules=20

There is nothing stopping you from building the kernel on a fast
machine and then copying the tarball to the A22. I don't know how
Mandriva works so I can't really help with that aspect of the setup.

Hope that helps,
Stephen