[ltp] t22 battery replacement dead?

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:46:18 -0400 (EDT)

> I have since spent money to return to them the battery and now the
> second one is apparently doing the same thing. 5 Cycles and the
> capacity has gone from 43 WH to 34 Wh.  I am running the latest
> bios.
>
> Anyone else with this issue?  I also noticed out of the box their
> batteries drained to about 50%, then to 4%, would stay at 4% for
> even an hour at times or more then go to 2% for less than a minute
> and the machine would then turn off.

 	I've run into this exact same problem with two identical T23
laptops (2647-9LU) with 4 different replacement batteries (all shipped
direct from IBM).

 	The trick I found, which was quite odd, was to get the "PC
Doctor for DOS" recovery/repair disc set from IBM (its available for
download on their site), run the "Battery Rundown" function on your
laptop while only on battery. You'll notice that it will run about 15
minutes after the big "BEEBOOOBEEEBOOO" klaxon warning, and then will
just shut down. Let it stay shut down after that, plug it into AC,
don't boot it up, and let it charge for about 7-8 hours.

 	After you see both green lights on the lid (after a full
charge), boot it back up. You'll now have a fresh battery to work
from.

 	I wrote about this back in July. Search this list on July 14th
for a post from me titled:

 	Subject: Re: [ltp] Re: poll: how is your battery?
 	(9-cell-battery lost about 25% capacity in 10 months)

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com