[ltp] Its not heat, its not memory... what is it?

John Hunt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:27:49 +0100

--=-R7uSw+Df3PS/D8gPVXWa

I've had quite a few years of experience with computers and hardware
faliure is something that VERY rarely occurs. Anyway, I think it's more
than likely your graphics card drivers. Could you be a bit more specific
about what causes it to lock up, or is it entirely random?

Have you checked all your logs for various things and stuff? dmesg
etc..?

If it's an ati graphics card on that model, make sure you're using the
open source drivers and not the proprietary ones, ati make rubbish
drivers for Linux.

What distro are you using? What kernel etc? I don't think you can call
it a hardware issue until you're using something really rock solid like
Debian woody with a 2.4 kernel.

John.

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 12:55 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> 	I've reached an impasse in my attempts to diagnose the hard=20
> lockups of my T42p. I had the same/similar lockups with my T23 before=20
> this (which was serviced by IBM over 7 times in 2 years).=20
>=20
> 	I've tested it thoroughly and came to the conclusion that it=20
> isn't heat or "bad RAM" that is causing the lockups. It seems to lock=20
> up at any temperature between 66C and 76C that I've seen thus far.=20
>=20
> 	I also thought it might have something to do with the sound=20
> card, because it locks up at lower heat, but almost immediately if I=20
> am inside an OpenGL application and I increase/decrease the volume=20
> using the hard-buttons on the case (above the F4/F5/F6 buttons).
>=20
> 	So what else is left here? What could it be? It never locks up=20
> during GL screensavers or normal daily activity, only when I'm working=20
> inside an OpenGL application like bzflag or chromium or some other app=20
> to help me vent the stress of the day's activities.
>=20
> 	Userland should never lock up hardware, so its something=20
> mechanically-wrong with the machine... but how do I design a test so=20
> IBM can replicate it if I send the laptop in for service?
>=20
>=20
> David A. Desrosiers
> desrod@gnu-designs.com