390 sound was Re: Threadjumping here, was Re: [ltp] A30 TP info, please

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:15:48 -0400

Helen Borrie wrote:

> At 11:43 PM 23/08/2005 -0400, Bert Haskins wrote:
>
>> ... and over four hours on my 390x boxes.
>

> Confirmed, re battery capacity.  I was running my 390e connected to
> the mains, when it suddenly died and wouldn't reboot.  After much fear
> and dread I discovered that the power connector had fallen out of the
> back at some point during the day and the thing had just carried on
> with battery power for 5 hours and then some (not sure how much, but
> possibly 0.5 to 1 hr more than 5).  (Had to dig around furiously in
> downloaded PDF user docs to find out what all those little green and
> orange lights actually mean!!)
>
>> If you want a good cheap laptop and you have modest requirements, I
>> would
>> like to suggest the 390x with the 14" screen.
>> The 15" models have a nicer and brighter screen but they suffer from a
>> just plain stupid lcd cable design that tends to break down and once
>> again is
>> hard to find and expensive.
>

> Why I hijacked the thread - any useful tips about getting the system
> speaker and also the sound system incl. built-in speakers working,
> please?

First, I must credit Wes Schriner for this

DO f1->Config->Advanced Setup-> .... down arrow to the  very bottom of
the menu...PCI Bus Power Managment
<enter>until Disabled is  shown  ... save and exit.
If this ( Disabled ) is not  done attempts to set up the sound will have
you tearing you hair out.
I have had very high quality sound ( at least with headphones ) under
Fedora 2,3,4, Mepis, Knopix, Mandrake 10.
and many others.
Do not do any of the ( modprobe.conf ) options port irq etc that are
needed by the 770 600 etc