[ltp] Re: Its not heat, its not memory... what is it?

Shannon McMackin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:52:53 -0400

David A. Desrosiers wrote:

>> CVS version of your video driver? Hmm...unless it locks up with a
>> stable one, I don't think you can rule everything out, unless you know
>> exactly what that driver is doing...which you might do! I don't know
>> for sure.
>

>     I just had another lockup when I unplugged my CD/DVD burner from usb
> and plugged it back in. Once the bus was scanned, boom! Lock.
>
>     So perhaps this is more chip-related than heat or vide driver.
>
>     The annoying thing is that it locks up 10+ times per-day now.
>

> David A. Desrosiers
> desrod@gnu-designs.com
> http://gnu-designs.com

All those things happening add up to almost sound like a bad planar or
main board on your T42.  I used to service Thinkpads and yes, hardware
does fail, from time to time.

Couldn't hurt to call in for service and describe all the things you
have going on.  The live CD would rule out any software you have.

Shannon