[ltp] Polishing the case of an X20

Ben Plaut linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:14:42 -1000

------=_Part_610_6160740.1124943282290

The shiny keys is a common problem... mine are already shiny on my T40, and=
=20
that's with using an external keyabord 90% of the time :P

On 8/23/05, Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
>=20
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:13, Rolf Leggewie wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the X20 I bought off-lease had an inventory sticker on it which I
> > removed with Isopropanol (a type of alcohol).
>=20
> I'd be surprised if something as benign as isopropyl alcohol damaged the
> plastic of a Thinkpad case. Acetone maybe would solve the plastic.
>=20
>=20
> > The area where I applied
> > the solvent looks a bit rougher than the rest of the case now. I read
> > somewhere on the net that Thinkpad cases are easy to "polish". I was
> > wondering if anyone had a recommendation on what type of cleaner/solven=
> > to use to get back a smooth finish for the case.
>=20
> I suspect rather that the rest of the case has been worn smooth from use,=
=20
> and
> the area protected by the sticker has the original 'tooth' still as it=20
> came
> from the factory. That's what happened when my T21 came off warranty and =
> removed the stickers.
>=20
> I took them off my T42 as soon as I received it, so the wear will be even=
.
>=20
> I'm not looking at your machine, so perhaps something else has occurred.=
=20
> My
> T21 palmrest and keys are worn shiny from use - the original is a matt
> finish, and the case felt like fine sand. Shiny plastic scratches easily,=
=20
> so
> the original has some roughness. Cuts down on glare too.
>=20
> Cheers,
> Bret
>=20
> --
>=20

--=20
Ben Plaut
bplaut@gmail.com

------=_Part_610_6160740.1124943282290

The shiny keys is a common problem... mine are already shiny on my T40,
span class=3D"gmail_quote">On 8/23/05, <b class=3D"gmail_sendername">Bret C=
omstock Waldow</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bwaldow@woosh.co.nz">bwaldow@woosh=
.co.nz
</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-lef=
t: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1=
ex;">On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:13, Rolf Leggewie wrote:<br>&gt; Hi,<br>&gt;<br=

&gt; the X20 I bought off-lease had an inventory sticker on it which I<br>&=
gt; removed with Isopropanol (a type of alcohol).<br><br>I'd be surprised i=
f something as benign as isopropyl alcohol damaged the<br>plastic of a Thin=
kpad case.&nbsp;&nbsp;Acetone maybe would solve the plastic.
ougher than the rest of the case now.&nbsp;&nbsp;I read<br>&gt; somewhere o=
n the net that Thinkpad cases are easy to &quot;polish&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;I =
was<br>&gt; wondering if anyone had a recommendation on what type of cleane=
r/solvent
rather that the rest of the case has been worn smooth from use, and<br>the =
area protected by the sticker has the original 'tooth' still as it came
on as I received it, so the wear will be even.<br><br>I'm not looking at yo=
ur machine, so perhaps something else has occurred.&nbsp;&nbsp;My
br>finish, and the case felt like fine sand.&nbsp;&nbsp;Shiny plastic scrat=
ches easily, so<br>the original has some roughness.&nbsp;&nbsp;Cuts down on=
 glare too.<br><br>