[ltp] Re: 390 sound

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:25:27 +1000

At 10:15 AM 24/08/2005 -0400, Bert Haskins wrote:

>I asked:

>>Why I hijacked the thread - any useful tips about getting the system
>>speaker and also the sound system incl. built-in speakers working, please?
>
>First, I must credit Wes Schriner for this
>
>DO f1->Config->Advanced Setup-> .... down arrow to the  very bottom of the
>menu...PCI Bus Power Managment
><enter>until Disabled is  shown  ... save and exit.
>If this ( Disabled ) is not  done attempts to set up the sound will have
>you tearing you hair out.
>I have had very high quality sound ( at least with headphones ) under
>Fedora 2,3,4, Mepis, Knopix, Mandrake 10.
>and many others.

Right - that's a breakthrough.  I did this disabling of the PCI Power Bus
Management and it got rid of the startup error message, so this is clearly
going to be an important part of resolving this.

I still don't have sound, although XMMS "plays" a list of mp3's right
through.  (I didn't think to try with the headphones, though).  I don't get
the Mandrake 10 startup music, either, as I do on the other Mdk 10.1 machines.

>Do not do any of the ( modprobe.conf ) options port irq etc that are
>needed by the 770 600 etc

OK.  My distro of Mdk 10.1 didn't install modprobe, anyway, so some of the
suggestions appearing in the archives of various lists elude me, anyway.  I
picked up a detailed set of how-tos from the alsa website.

I remember with older Linuxen I used to run a program called "sndconfig" or
something similar.  Anything like that seems to be gone from Mdk 10.1.

If all else fails, I'll try installing Mandriva 2005 and hope that I can
reproduce what I did with 10.1 to get the internal Lucent Winmodem
working.  If I have to choose, it's actually more important to have a
working modem than working sound....

Thanks very much,
Helen