[ltp] Sound, 600X, FC4

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:54:24 -0700

On Thursday 25 August 2005 08:21 am, Bert Haskins wrote:
> Chris, there is lots of material in the archives of this list covering
> the 600s sound problems,
>
> Chris Schumann wrote:
> >I have installed FC4 on my 600X and it works just great.
> >
> >Last week, I installed FC4 on a 600X for a friend, and sound does not
> >work. The sound card isn't detected. I'm waiting for results of a PC
> >Doctor test on the audio chip, but I assume it's fine.
> >
> >In the mean time, where should I start my look for clues on why sound
> >doesn't work?

600x is different than 600e...sound came up automagickally for me under Debian
Sarge, although that's a default 2.4.x kernel, not 2.6.x. OSS seems to
happily find the chip and start it up. Perhaps this is an alsaconf issue and
you should run alsaconf again. Another thing: check to see if "quick boot" is
enabled in the BIOS. Quick boot interferes with the ability of Linux to
configure the IRQs. It's a strictly Windows thing. Treat it as Windows damage
and route around it.

600 and 600e lappies have an issue with having three chips that can be seen as
sound chips: the mwave modem, the actual sound chip, and the video card which
also has sound circuitry. The latter is not really an issue, but the former
is.

Here's how you deal with 600/600e sound problems under alsa:

Save this as a shell script and call it "soundon." You will have to run it as
root.
#!/bin/sh
rmmod snd_cs46xx
/sbin/modprobe snd_cs4236 index=0 port=0x530 cport=0x538 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=0
isapnp=0
(note the last line should be one long line, with no carriage returns...you
might be able to omit the /sbin/ part because theoretically root has a path
to /sbin/ .)

After everything, and I mean *everything* loads on your desktop, including
your windowing environment, pop open a console and run that soundon script.

snd_cs46xx actually *is* the correct alsa driver on the 600x. You might want
to see which module loaded and if it's something other than snd_cs46xx you
might want to write a "soundon" script of your own rmmod-ing the wrong module
out and modprobe-ing the correct module in.

Hope this helps,
Michelle
--
Michelle Klein-Hass