[ltp] My T22 backlight has died - how do I fix it?

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:36:51 -0400

--------------020207070400060209000800

Javier (a.k.a AlBundy) wrote:

>On 8/25/05, Bert Haskins <bhaskins@chartermi.net> wrote:
>

>>Every Thinkpad ( 600x 770xy 390s, A2xx series, A3xx ) that I've ever
>>worked on  has used a CCFL tube.
>>

>[...]
>

>>I do check the inverter first though.
>>I use an inverter that I keep for just this purpose and if the screen
>>does light up I debug the other circuits.
>>My test inverter runs on it's own power ( battery ) so it's not affected
>>by other problems.
>>
>>////// start rant /////
>>One thing that I don't like about the newer machines is that just about
>>everything is built on the
>>motherboard including !@#$CUSS%$%& the DC/DC converter !@#$CUSS$%%%.
>>////// end rant ////////
>>

>Question:
>
>   inverter == DC/DC converter?

The term inverter is a old fossil ( like me ) from the days when they
were used to generate a
negative grid bias for high-power vacuum tube circuits.
Hence the term invert...er
Slamming quickly back to Thinkpads the DC/DC converter is a quite
complex unit(s) which now
seems to be on the motherboard ( IMHO bad engineering, see rant ) or on
a separate circuit board.
It serves to convert the power from the battery and/or the ac adapter to
the voltages needed by
the computer and battery.

>or
>   inverter == DC/AC converter?

The inverter ( found on the lcd section... upper half ) takes the power
from the DC/DC converter
and steps it up to about 220 volts @ about 400 cycles.
This will be different for different models of laptops and different LCDS.
There is a capacitor on the output end of the inverter which is used to
tune and smooth the output.
This cap has BEEN the problem on a few machines that I have dealt  with.

Please notice that there is no 'inverting' going on here.

>PS: It should be great if you could take photographs of inverter and
>CCFL tubes, and put them in thinkwiki.

You know, I would do this for information purposes only.
In fact if I was still teaching industrial service techs, I think that I
would use this repair
as sort of a masters thesis.
It aint easy and you sure as higher taxes could never make a dime doing it.
love this NG...
  Bert

>-----------
>AlBundy

--------------020207070400060209000800

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Javier (a.k.a AlBundy) wrote:<br>
 cite="midf31cece105082509294c6020f2@mail.gmail.com">
  <pre wrap="">On 8/25/05, Bert Haskins <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:bhaskins@chartermi.net">&lt;bhaskins@chartermi.net&gt;</a> wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Every Thinkpad ( 600x 770xy 390s, A2xx series, A3xx ) that I've ever
worked on  has used a CCFL tube.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->[...]
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I do check the inverter first though.
I use an inverter that I keep for just this purpose and if the screen
does light up I debug the other circuits.
My test inverter runs on it's own power ( battery ) so it's not affected
by other problems.

////// start rant /////
One thing that I don't like about the newer machines is that just about
everything is built on the
motherboard including !@#$CUSS%$%&amp; the DC/DC converter !@#$CUSS$%%%.
////// end rant ////////
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Question:

   inverter == DC/DC converter?</pre>
The term inverter is a old fossil ( like me ) from the days when they
were used to generate a<br>
negative grid bias for high-power vacuum tube circuits.<br>
Hence the term invert...er<br>
Slamming quickly back to Thinkpads the DC/DC converter is a quite
complex unit(s) which now<br>
seems to be on the motherboard ( IMHO bad engineering, see rant ) or on
a separate circuit board.<br>
It serves to convert the power from the battery and/or the ac adapter
to the voltages needed by<br>
the computer and battery.<br>
 cite="midf31cece105082509294c6020f2@mail.gmail.com">
  <pre wrap="">
or
   inverter == DC/AC converter?
  </pre>
The inverter ( found on the lcd section... upper half ) takes the power
from the DC/DC converter<br>
and steps it up to about 220 volts @ about 400 cycles.<br>
This will be different for different models of laptops and different
LCDS.<br>
There is a capacitor on the output end of the inverter which is used to
tune and smooth the output.<br>
This cap has BEEN the problem on a few machines that I have dealt&nbsp; with.<br>
Please notice that there is no 'inverting' going on here.<br>
 cite="midf31cece105082509294c6020f2@mail.gmail.com">
  <pre wrap="">

PS: It should be great if you could take photographs of inverter and
CCFL tubes, and put them in thinkwiki.</pre>
You know, I would do this for information purposes only.<br>
In fact if I was still teaching industrial service techs, I think that
I would use this repair<br>
as sort of a masters thesis.<br>
It aint easy and you sure as higher taxes could never make a dime doing
it.<br>
love this NG...<br>
&nbsp; Bert <br>