[ltp] Re: Wifi on R52 with Ubuntu Hoary

Jaime Iniesta linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:13:58 +0200

------=_Part_10915_16987211.1125249238121

I came up with with a solution. Installing netapplet, a small applet that=
=20
lets you switch between available networks, without being asked for root=20
password. It works fine but it tends to crash when you shut down your=20
computer...

Jaime

2005/8/27, Jaime Iniesta <capitanplaneta@gmail.com>:
>=20
> Hi! I've got a little question about wifi on my R52, I hope you can help=
=20
> me.
>=20
> I installed Ubuntu Hoary on my R52 and I'm very happy as all the hardware=
=20
> has been correctly detected and configured out-of-the-box.
>=20
> I thought the wireless card was not working well because, although the=20
> applet connection on GNOME showed that it received a strong signal, I was=
=20
> not able to surf the web with it. Strange enough, I could surf my router'=
s=20
> internal web page. It seemed like there was no DNS resolution when using=
=20
> wireless.
>=20
> Anyway, yesterday I found where the problem was: the wireless card=20
> connection is working perfectly, it's only that to have DNS resolution on=
=20
> it, I have to deactivate the LAN (non-wireless) card. It seems like is=20
> always trying to go through the LAN card (eth0) instead of wireless (eth1=
),=20
> even if there is no LAN cable attached to it and wireless is available.
>=20
> This is not a major problem but a bit of a hassle. Most of the time I wor=
k=20
> wired on the local network, but when I want to go wireless I have to=20
> deactivate eth0 first. Could this be done automatically, make my computer=
=20
> smart enough to detect which connection is available and use it?
>=20
> Thanks !
>=20
> --=20
>=20
> Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
> email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
> jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
> webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/=20

--=20

Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

------=_Part_10915_16987211.1125249238121

I came up with with a solution. Installing netapplet, a small applet
that lets you switch between available networks, without being asked
for root password. It works fine but it tends to crash when you shut
down your computer...<br>
Jaime<br>
ef=3D"mailto:capitanplaneta@gmail.com">capitanplaneta@gmail.com</a>&gt;:</s=
pan><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(2=
04, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Hi! I've got a little question about wifi on my R52, I hope you can help me=
.<br>
I installed Ubuntu Hoary on my R52 and I'm very happy as all the
hardware has been correctly detected and configured out-of-the-box.<br>
I thought the wireless card was not working well because, although the
applet connection on GNOME showed that it received a strong signal, I
was not able to surf the web with it. Strange enough, I could surf my
router's internal web page. It seemed like there was no DNS resolution
when using wireless.<br>
Anyway, yesterday I found where the problem was: the wireless card
connection is working perfectly, it's only that to have DNS resolution
on it, I have to deactivate the LAN (non-wireless) card. It seems like
is always trying to go through the LAN card (eth0) instead of wireless
(eth1), even if there is no LAN cable attached to it and wireless is
available.<br>
This is not a major problem but a bit of a hassle. Most of the time I
work wired on the local network, but when I want to go wireless I have
to deactivate eth0 first. Could this be done automatically, make my
computer smart enough to detect which connection is available and use
it?<br>
laneta<br>email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com<br>jabber: capitanpl=
aneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org<br>webs: <a href=3D"http://capitanplaneta.b=
logspot.com/" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window=
,event,this)">
http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/
</a>

n planeta<br>email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com<br>jabber: capita=
http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/</a>

------=_Part_10915_16987211.1125249238121--