[ltp] repeatedly turning on and off bad for fan?

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 17:27:20 -0400

Hi All:
I installed the script by Erik Groeneveld to turn the fan of my T43 on
and off between 55 and 65C. My concern is: given that I read in windows
the fan never turns off
(http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2285)
I wonder whether the IBM design the fan to be always on and therefore
turning it on and off frequently(mine does it in about 10 minutes
cycles) is bad for fan, mechanically because it is designed to be
constantly on at an approximately constant speed(mine 4000rpm)?

I'm new to the list. I have a thinkpad T43(2668W12) running ubuntu
hoary with 2.6.12-4 kernel with various patches.

Also as a tip I took from Paul Rivier that's a real revelation: the
DynamicClocks feature of xorg ati driver got turned off after returning
from suspend because of vbetool. Now I removed all vbetool reference in
my acpi scripts(I use mesa radeon driver and no framebuffer console so
it is not needed anyway) and now my GPU is as cool as before after
resume. That's why I decided to start using fan control daemon because
it is cool enough all the time to do so. See:

http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2005-July/027539.html

Thanks a lot Paul for figuring this out!

Did anyone get hard drive park working for hdaps in T43? I got the
latest 20050825-02 version. After installing  the modules I don't seem
to get the /dev/hdaps device as said in README. The various readings in
/sys seems working, just backwor

Jiang