[ltp] Partitioning - how to keep IBM recovery partition active?

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:54:54 +1200

--nextPart4861472.qvizOY9JWA

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:05, Lior David wrote:
> I want to keep my XP installation and the option to enter the hidden
> recovery tools by hitting the "access IBM" button during startup.

This probably doesn't fit what you want, but I haven't noticed this pointed=
=20
out in other threads on this, and it's somewhat pertinent.

The Recovery tools (the "Access IBM" button when the Recovery Partition is=
=20
still installed) offer an option to make a set of CDs that will take the=20
place of the Recovery partition.  You can:

1) Boot on the CD and get what appears to be the same tools as if you boote=
d=20
off the Recovery partition - browser, diagnostics, etc.
2) Restore the original disk state.

I know of one difference between the functionality of the Recovery Partitio=
n=20
and the Recovery CDs - the Recovery Partition will only wipe the first=20
partition to restore Windows - the Recovery CDs will wipe the entire disk,=
=20
restoring both Windows and the on-disk Recovery Partition - thus back to yo=
ur=20
system's exact factory defaults.

In my case, I made the CDs, tested them, and wiped the Recovery Partition, =
as=20
I don't want to use XP.  It was easy not to agonize about it, as I knew I=20
could restore it later, and also had the tools available almost as easily=20
from the CDs as from the Recovery Partition.

Just FYI.

Cheers,
Bret