[ltp] From Jiang: recoverying partition

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 03:31:44 -0400

Hi All:
I see an discussion about recovery partition. My question is this: as I
understand I have to use NTLDR as bootloader in order to boot to
recovery partition at all. Not knowing this I already installed grub on
MBR and can now only boot to BSOD when trying to boot to recovery
partition. Is there any way to non-destructively fix this, i.e. to put
NTLDR back to MBR to dual boot system? I have already had the recovery
cd. Is there a way to use recovery cd to restore NTLDR into MBR? Or any
other ways of getting back the option of recovering from hidden partion?

My rationale of restoring recovery partition even when I have CDs is
the following: as pointed out restoring from recovery CDs one only have
the option of wiping out the whole disk yet restoring from recovery
partition one have the capability to restoring to first partition on
disk, which I kept windows.

My rationale of having the option of no-destructively restoring windows
is windows is a good thing around for testing, knowing some problems
are hardware instead of software. Another significant reason is that my
wife use windows. If she mess up the windows part I want to be sure to
be able to fix the windows part without wiping out my linux
environment.

Thanks a lot!
Jiang