[ltp] CD-RW for T23?

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:02:35 +0200

Am Sonntag 28 August 2005 02:54 schrieb njcross@sbcglobal.net:
> I bought a reconditioned T23 and run Mandriva LE 2005 and I'm really
> happy with both. The Thinkpad came with a DVD player but I really need
> to burn some music CDs. Can anyone suggest a good internal CD-RW which
> works well with the T23 and K3b and will burn CDs that will play on
> most domestic CD players.  I also have winblows 2000, which I hardly
> ever use.

Hello Nev,

I got a T23 with a Teac DV-W24EW DVD burner. Although that is not directly
from IBM it still works like a charm. I had to cut out a piece of the
front bezel tough so that it fits, but its barely noticeable although I
didn't do it as accurate as possible.

The toughest thing was that it needed a firmware update / change so that
it behaves nicely as master on the secondary IDE controller. I used
FreeDOS to apply that firmware update.

Now my ThinkPad T23 is one of the probably quite rare ThinkPad T23's that
are cabable of borning DVDs, at least single layer ones. ;-) I would have
preferred a Matsushita/Panasonic DVD-RAM drive like they are available
for new ThinkPad models, but it didn't seem easy to obtain one seperately
from a new computer in Germany so I gave up on this.

I guess that quite some other non IBM refactured drives work quite nicely
if you are ready to cut out a piece of the fronz bezel. But for sure I
can only say it about that Teac drive I put into my T23.

Regards,