[ltp] Partitioning - how to keep IBM recovery partition active?

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:31:15 -0700

> Hello
>
> (I am sorry about my breaking the threading - I am not subscribed).
>
> I read about problems about the recovery partition and grub. I have a setup
> that might help somebody. I do not have a working "Access IBM"-button, but I
> can choose the recovery partition from the grub menu. This is on a T42 with
> Ubuntu Hoary.

IMHO the recovery partition is a waste of space and totally useless.
Burn the recovery CDs immediately when you get the new machine in case
you ever sell it and want to re-image XP on it, and then disable the
secure setting for the PreDesktop Environment in the BIOS so your
partition manager can overwrite it and then use the space for other
things.  It is kind of a waste to have 3+GB sitting there idle on your
hard disk because you >might> one day want to run the recovery and wipe
your entire HD, especially when you can just burn the recovery set on a
bunch of $0.19 CDs.