[ltp] Small (and old?) thinkpad?

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:57:54 -0700

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 02:01 pm, Norman Walsh wrote:
> I'm not familiar with all the Thinkpad models, but I've been very
> happy with my T42p. Now I find that I'd like to get a very small
> laptop to take with me on vacation, something in the 12" or smaller
> size. It doesn't need to have a lot of horsepower, just something I
> can use to collect digital images off my flashcards and maybe do a
> little wifi email occasionally.

Don't count out the 600 series. They weigh more than an X-series but they are
still about 5 pounds. And 13.3" is still pretty compact.

Pocket rocket: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IBM600X-14B&cat=NBB

This is a 650MHz 600x, B-grade. Right now it's going for less than $300. I
have a 500MHz 600x and it takes to Linux like a duck takes to water. Debian
Sarge found almost everything, and after a couple of tweaks of the X
configuration it was good to go at 1024 x 768 x 16 bit color with full video
overlay capability. The 650MHz PIIIm chip does Speed Step which is a blessing
for battery life.

Do it. You won't be sorry.

Michelle
--