[ltp] Small (and old?) thinkpad?

Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:18:30 -0400

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 17:01 -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> I'm not familiar with all the Thinkpad models, but I've been very
> happy with my T42p. Now I find that I'd like to get a very small
> laptop to take with me on vacation, something in the 12" or smaller
> size. It doesn't need to have a lot of horsepower, just something I
> can use to collect digital images off my flashcards and maybe do a
> little wifi email occasionally.

Depending on what you mean by "horsepower", you could look at a Thinkpad
240.  It's extremely portable, but the screen resolution is limited.  If
you get one, your best bet is probably the 400 MHz Celeron model.  There
is a 500 MHz PIII model, but it's limited to only 192M of RAM.  The C400
can hold 320M.  I took a 366 MHz 240 along on my last trip overseas, and
it worked out quite well.

You might also consider an X20 or X22.  These are also relatively cheap
these days, and normally come with builtin ethernet and modem (not sure
on wifi).  My wife uses an X30 (500 MHz) as her work machine, and I have
an X22 (800 MHz).  Both run recent versions of Linux pretty well, and
they have a compact flash slot in addition to a PCMCIA slot.  Great if
you have a camera that uses CF cards.

I have some notes on running Linux each of these machines on my website
(see sig).

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/