[ltp] OT: 560 recommendations?

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 04:04:58 +0100

Dear All,

I'm looking to buy a cheap (on ebay) thinkpad for portable use.
The spec needn't be amazing (eg 800x600, 250MHz, 4GB, 128MB), but it
does need to be as light as possible. I'm hoping for less than $100, and
  < 2kg.

I recall seeing what I think was a 560 somewhere, and being amazingly
impressed by how small it was. Am I recollecting this correctly?  Would
a 600 be better?  The 560s are currently very cheap on eBay - are they
just a very good deal, or are they so obsolete as to be unusable?
Thinkwiki has some useful details, but doesn't mention the weight! Eg:
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:560Z

Sorry this is a bit offtopic, and also rather vague! It will get Linuxed
  - of course. What I'm wanting is basically a cheap,light, and
non-valuable machine for remote data access. It needs to cope with WiFi
(via PCMCIA) or modem or ethernet; it needs to be able to run vncviewer
and firefox; KDE would be nice, but icewm will do.

Thanks for your help,

Richard

P.S. I think that the newest kernel (2.6.13) may show some promise
toward answering my earlier query about "i/o renicing".