[ltp] Partitioning - how to keep IBM recovery partition active?

Harald Staub linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:47:01 +0200

Hi Jiang

On 30.08.2005 05:27:49 -0400, Jiang Qian wrote:

> Hi Harry:
> I tried what you said in last email and still got blue screen when
> booting to access IBM. Did you install GRUB on MBR or the boot sector
> of your linux partition? It could be that they did something quirky to
> T43. I don't know. Thanks anyway.
> Jiang

(Sorry again for the damaged threading; please CC me since I am not on the
list).

grub is my only boot manager, in MBR.

Just two more ideas to boot the recovery partition (untested):
- It may help not only to "unhide (hd0,1)" (or wherever your recovery
partition is), but also to "hide (hd0,0)" (or wherever your XP partition is).
- It may help to move the "active bit" from the XP partition to the recovery
partition (and back again when you boot XP). I think you would do this with
"makeactive" after having set the root.

BTW, in my case, when booting the recovery partition, it looks like W2k.

 Harry