[ltp] Best distro for 760XD

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 00:08:23 -0800

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 08:56 pm, Mendel Cooper wrote:
> I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering
> what would be the best Linux distro to install on it.
>
> Specs for the 760XD:
> 166 MHz Pentium MMX
> 64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104)
> 12" 1024x768 screen
> 2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)
>
> The main problem is that it can't boot from the CD drive.
> Can't have CD drive and floppy plugged in at the same time, either.
> This means I have to use something like loadlin.exe to boot from.

Debian.

They have boot floppies that will start up a net install. And the boot
floppies have drivers for really common PCMCIA network cards like Intel or
Xircom.

This of course is contingent on a really common PCMCIA network card and a
broadband connection. However, it can and does work...worked on a 365X that
didn't even have a CD-ROM drive.
--
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273