[ltp] Best distro for 760XD

Charles E "RIck" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:53:15 -0500

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 22:04 -0700, Mendel Cooper wrote:

> > Specs for the 760XD:
> > 166 MHz Pentium MMX
> > 64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104)
> > 12" 1024x768 screen
> > 2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)

> I also want to ask about setting up sound and the built-in modem. Yep,
> it's one of those funky Mwave DSP / MDSP2780 Winmodems. Will it work
> with the standard Mwave driver? And, I've heard that sound under Linux
> isn't supported. Hope that has changed.

I used to have a 760XD.  The only sounds I ever got out of the thing
were the system beep and CD sound from playing an audio CD in the CD
drive.

The docs for the mwave driver mention the 600 and 770. I don't think the
760XD was supported.  Guess I can't hurt to *try* it, but I don't
remember it doing anything useful on my 760XD.

> Should have any problem with setting up X. Same Trident Cyber 9385
> chip set as the 760XL, and that always played fine with Linux.

I had no problems with X.  Just no sound or modem.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com