[ltp] Best distro for 760XD

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:09:45 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Tino Keitel wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 21:56:37 -0700, Mendel Cooper wrote:
> > The main problem is that it can't boot from the CD drive.
> > Can't have CD drive and floppy plugged in at the same time, either.
> > This means I have to use something like loadlin.exe to boot from.
>
> I managed to install Debian Woody (or Potato? I forgot...) from CD on
> my 765L while booting from the floppy drive this way (from my memory):
>
> 1. Boot the install disk
>
> 2. Press Fn+F4 while the kernel loads, to trigger a suspend as soon as
>    the kernel is loaded

Yes, I remember doing something like this once, maybe about 4 years
back, on a 760XL. It worked all right, but the machine made all sorts
of funny noises after awakening from suspend. Probably complaining about
the hardware being swapped out.

I also recall that loadlin.exe, run from a small DOS partition on the
hard drive, lets you start the installation from the CD. Usually. Probably
only works with older distros. I'll try Red Hat 9 from spring 2003.

And, thanks people, for all the advice and suggestions.

Mendel