[ltp] laptop mode

Mon, 5 Dec 2005 00:33:00 +0100

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 11:28:39 +0100, Mcskasi Csaba wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a question about laptop-mode. I installed the debian laptop-mode
> package and started the daemon (/etc/init.d/laptop-mode). After that I
> unplugged my R50e to run from battery. I also executed "laptop-mode start"
> successfully.

I don't use laptop-mode at all, but use this way to get acceptable spin
down times:

mount -o remount,commit=20000 /
mount -o remount,commit=20000 /boot
mount -o remount,commit=20000 /usr
mount -o remount,commit=20000 /var
mount -o remount,commit=20000 /home
/etc/init.d/noflushd start

Of couse, you should adjust this to your file systems.

I use kernel 2.6.14 and ext3, and this setup gives me spin down times
up to a few hours. Maybe mounting with noatime could improve this, but
I don't want to criple my system just to get a little bit more battery
lifetime.

Regards,
Tino