[ltp] Noise and Power Consumption of T20 and T23

Mon, 5 Dec 2005 23:38:17 +0200

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 09:29:44PM +0100, Hannes Kuhnert wrote:
> Now I've been using a Thinkpad T20 for several months and I really like i=
t:=20
> Most time the fan isn't running, hence it operates quite quiet.
>=20
> My sister would like to have a notebook, too, and she should get one of t=
hese:
>=20
> 	T20	featuring Mobile Pentium III 750MHz	319=80
> 	T23	featuring Mobile Pentium III-M 1000MHz	369=80
>=20
> Can the T23 be operated without the fan running as well as the T20 at low=
=20
> load?

I had a T23 with Pentium III-M 866 MHz.  The fan would come up every 20
minutes or so and spin for a while.  It annoyed me slightly.  I choose
a more conservative CPU frequency and ran the machine always at 666 MHz.
The fan now would only come up once every few hours.

That was during regular use, while the CPU was mostly idle.  During
compilation, or when running a OpenGL screensaver, when the cpu was
running at 100%, the fan would come up after a couple of minutes.

> Which one of T20-750 and T23-1000 would you choose and why? What are=20
> significant differences?

T23-1000, because it's faster.  Even though I don't need the CPU power
all the time, when I do need it (to run a full unit test suite for a
software project), I really need it.

(Which is why now I have a 1.6 GHz T42.)

Marius Gedminas
--=20
If nothing else helps, read the documentation.

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N--