[ltp] laptop mode

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 06 Dec 2005 06:34:01 -0600

Tino Keitel wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 15:24:01 +0100, Mcskasi Csaba wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:33:00 +0100, Tino Keitel <tino.keitel@gmx.de> wrote:
>>

>>>I don't use laptop-mode at all, but use this way to get acceptable spin
>>>down times:
>>>
>>>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /
>>>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /boot
>>>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /usr
>>>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /var
>>>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /home
>>>/etc/init.d/noflushd start
>>>

>>Thank you! You made my day.
>>

>Nice to hear this. If you discover any improvements to this method,
>please let me know.

I had overlooked the "commit" option, so I added this to my setup, all
ext3 partitions. I also have "noatime" set on all partitions. I mean,
what's the point of having atime set if the write out is delayed? I have
noflushd set to spin down the drive after 7 minutes of inactivity. Sure,
that could be more agressive, but my drive is already two years old so I
don't want to push it. This all seems to work very well.

wes