[ltp] Re: IBM Thinkpad R51 w/ Ubuntu Linux Installed

Noah Dain linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:44:02 -0500

On 12/6/05, Jaime Iniesta <capitanplaneta@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu on the R52 and everything works fine. I didn't try the
> modem yet.
>
>  Jaime
>
> 2005/11/17, Sandip Bhattacharya <sandip@lug-delhi.org>:
> >
> > Hakim Singhji wrote:
> > > So again, is anyone using an IBM Thinkpad R51 with Linux installed,
> > > particularly Debian or Ubuntu installs? If so have you had any
> > > problems specific to your machine?
> >
> > I am using Kubuntu 5.10 on my R51. No issues. The only annoying thing
> > was during installation when I had to configure a wired connection so
> > that I can download wpasupplicant before I could get wireless working.
> >
> > Oh yes, mine is a dual boot. Windows XP home installed on the other one=
.
> > I have removed the predesktop partition. Instead of that, I use Acronis
> > True Image to create a partition where I can take backups or restore
> > both the windows and the linux partitions.
> >
> > I had a bad time with Hoary and software suspend. So I have been using
> > hibernate instead, and it works fine for me.
> >
> > - Sandip
> >
> > --
> > Sandip Bhattacharya  *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip@puroga.com
> > Work: http://www.puroga.com  *   Home/Blog: http://www.sandipb.net/blog
> >
> > PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3
> >
> > --

ubuntu also has specific support for thinkpads.  In the universe
repository is the package 'thinkpad-base' and 'tpb'.

thinkpad-base gets you some special perks, like a maximiser app.  tpb
is think-pad-buttons, which gets you special button support and
on-screen display messages (volume changes, thinklight on/off, etc.)

be sure to check /etc/defaults for configuration options after installation=
.

--
Noah Dain