[ltp] T43 finger print reader problems

Wolfgang Karall linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:45:57 +0100

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 21:13 +0000, Alastair McKinley wrote:
> Actually what happens when I press "enter" is the fingerprint reader
>  GUI prompt appears and it recognises my fingerprint, but it does not
>  authenticate me.
>
> As soon as I press enter a message appears in /var/log/messages
>  complaining that authentication has failed.

That's because the password prompt comes from pam_unix.so which is
'required' and called first in your configuration, and AFTER that the
bioapi module is called which tries to authenticate and even succeeds,
but since pam_unix.so is 'required' it doesn't matter any longer.

Change the ordering to call the bioapi first which is 'sufficient' for
the authentication to succeed, but if it fails it will fall back to the
'required' pam_unix.so module.

BTW, that and a lot more is explained in the PAM documentation at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/pam.html .
Somebody just needs to read it. ;)

Regards
WK