[ltp] R52 woes

Torsten Wolf linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:21:23 +0100

* Torsten Wolf <t.wolf@tu-bs.de> [05-11-21 20:01]:

>* System instability

On Monday I got my laptop back from IBM/Lenovo's service. The technician
told me that he had not found anything while running benchnmarks for
three days. I unpacked the device, waited some time as it seemed to be
rather cold in the delivery van, turned it on and after 30min it got
stuck again. Unfortunately, at that moment apt-get was unpacking the
libc-update... corrupted shared libraries -> system unbootable

Repair was successful and I decided to give 2.6.15-rc5 a try. The system
again froze while compiling the modules but behold! for about 16 hours
the laptop runs just fine! Even though I produce a pretty high load most
of the time the device remains up to now in a stable state. Well, I
don't want to be too overhasty, but I'm still somewhat optimistic that
the instability turn out to be kernel related ;)

With 2.6.15-rc5 only 3D acceleration remains an issue. Starting X(org)
with fglrx yields

 Bad page state at free_hot_cold_page (in process 'Xorg', page c134f5a0)

Using the r300 driver works better, even though at least one older
application crashes the session. Suspending works but resuming produces
a garbled screen. Without dri I see no problems. Does anyone have more
success with the r300 driver?

And there is another minor problem. When suspending to disk (swsup!)
there is the following timeout

 ata1: command 0xca timeout, stat 0x50 host_stat 0x20

Any idea about this one? Nevertheless, suspending is delayed by about 20
seconds and the device resumes flawlessly.

Cheers!
Tors*knocking-on-wood*ten