[ltp] Re: [ANN] tp_smapi - a new Linux SMAPI driver

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 08:41:08 -0500

> Thanks for your great work, I am happy to be able to inhibit
> battery charging, which means that I don't have to take out
> the battery anymore (I rarely use it but like to have it in
> the laptop:)).

Slightly off topic, George, I think even though you can keep battery in
the computer half charged with inhibit charge, the heat from putting
battery in computer when on AC is damaging to battery irretrievably.
See the table at
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
so it is still recommended, if you want to prolong battery time, to
take battery out and store it in room temperature or lower. It's also a
good idea to keep monitoring battery temperature with ibm-acpi modules.
I do it in real-time with gkrellm.
Jiang