[ltp] Slightly OT: where are the 10GHz P6 thinkpads?

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:30:09 -0500

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 20:56 +0100, Macskassy Csaba wrote:

> I don't get it. The lifetime of souch a drive would be very short. Just
> imagine that there is 24/7 writing (logs etc.) on a flash drive.

You have to use them differently...
data and frequent writes go to some other medium (hard disk)
but library reads etc. come from the flash.

Boots are fast since they're reading from the flash (mostly)
I'm considering such a system for my laptop - boot from a 4G read-only
flash disk (except for upgrades)

This could be done with links (eg /usr/ and /lib) to the flash drive.

I'm not sure if the PCMCIA bandwidth will ruin this plan...

Brad