[ltp] Erase key labels

George Yanos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 18:52:38 -0600 (CST)

Or you could get one of those golf caps with only a bill, no crown.  Make
it big, then put it on just below the eyes, so you can't see the keyboard?

(ps, for humor, not nastieness.  I do think the key text will be hard to
get off cleanly and that mental health might be added by trying a mental
adjustment first.)

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Richard Neill wrote:

> Brad Langhorst wrote:
>> On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 13:54 +0000, Paul RIVIER wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I want to use a dvorak layout on my thinkpad, and I would like to take
>>> this opportunity to do somthing I'd really like : erase (in a proper way)
>>> labels (letters, modifiers etc.) printed on the keys.
>>> If it is properly done, I imagine that would result in an impressive look
>>> ! :)
>>> Does anyone have an idea about how to do that ?
>>

>> acetone? (nail polish remover)
>
> Nooo! You'll turn your entire keyboard into a sticky gooey mess.
> Acetone will probably take more than just the letters off!
>
> It is possible that the correct solvent will help (At a guess, isopropanol
> might be a good start) - but please test it very carefully.
> Whatever you do, take the keyboard off the thinkpad before you start: a
> wrecked keyboard will cost far less than a wrecked TP.
>
> Alternative:
>
> 1)Disassemble the kb (take all the keycaps off)
>
> 2)Roughen them gently by wiping against 1200-grit glasspaper.
>
> 3)Spray with matt black epoxy (or enamel) paint. 2 or 3 light coats, allow to
> dry.
>
> You might practice on a cheap spare part from eBay first!
>

> Richard

* George Yanos     *                                                *
* UTC at UIC       *                                                *
* 312-413-0059(w)  *                                                *
* 708-848-4221(h)  *                                                *
* gyanos@uic.edu   *                                                *