[ltp] considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:58:40 -0500

Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:57, Alejandro Bonilla Beeche wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't worry at all, is the same people. "Same thing, different
>> name" and not even cause it still says IBM. ;-)
>
> I have read that IBM lost money on Thinkpad sales.  Unless Lenovo has a death
> wish, they will be making changes.
>
> Perhaps they are smarter business people than IBM, perhaps they have supplies
> and parts available at better prices than IBM for the sam quality.
>
> On the other hand, perhaps they think they are smarter business people, or
> that the quality of their supplies is good enough for the price, but low
> enough that they won't lose money on selling Thinkpads.
>
> We don't know what they will do, nor how well they will do it.
>
> But I will suggest that if it's actually the same, Lenovo will go out of
> business.  I think only time will tell.

One thing to bear in mind, is that IBM is really not a mass marketer.
They've tended to be high end, low volume, reliable systems, something
that's hard to sell in the consumer market.  Lenovo may not have the
same issues.