[ltp] Non-IBM provided disk on a Thinkpad?

Michael Ott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:15:30 +0000

--lildS9pRFgpM/xzO

Hello Manuel!

> my T40's 80Gb HD crashed yesterday.  IBM service is really lousy here
> in Spain (because they do everything through retailers).  I am
> thinking on buying a similar disk (a 80Gb Hitachi) or something a bit
> larger (100Gb, probably).  I understand that IBM ships the disks with
> funny things (e.g., the predesktop area) which will not be present in
> a fresh HD.  Will that be a problem?  I have not really used (at least
> not intentionally) the predesktop much, so I think I can live without
> it.  Or do you think I will be running into troubles?
In my R51 i changed the disk without any problems. In my T43 i changed
it to but the machine let me know that this harddisk is not the right
one. But it worked. I put the original inside again. Annoying sound and
error message

CU       =20
        =20
  Michael =20
         =20
--                                                      =20
           Michael Ott, e-mail: michael@zolnott.de, www.zolnott.de         =
 =20
I am registered as user #275453 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.o=
rg.