[ltp] IBM Access button

Paul Michael Reilly linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:34:36 -0500

Arnaud Fontaine <arnaud@andesi.org> writes:

 > Hello
 >
 > I have just bought an IBM T43 laptop. I would like to install Debian
 > GNU/Linux only (so i don't want to keep Windows), should i keep the
 > backup partition or could i remove it (to keep more space on the HD),
 > what is the better thing to do ?

FWIW, I impulsively flushed my A31P hard drive when I bought the
system a few years back and then installed Fedora Core.  Life was fine
until recently when smartd started reporting bad sectors.  I called
IBM and learned there is now a $52 charge for recovery media.  So I
would have been wiser to have made a backup or left the 10G recovery
partition in place.

 > If i make the backup CD using Access IBM button, could i restore the HD
 > from factory HD setting ?

I believe so, based on what an IBM tech support person told me
yesterday.

-pmr