[ltp] New thinkpad: T43/p (/Z-series?)

honey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:38:04 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I'm about to convince a friend to buy a Thinkpad rather than a Dell.  I
have a T40 which I'm happy with, but she (lucky thing) has funds to buy
a new laptop, so I wonder if anyone could advise generally if the T43
series present any gotchas with Linux I've missed?  Apologies in advance
that I'll be behind on some of the issues: I'm looking for a summary of
any problems and pointers to read up on them.

It looks to me as if the T43p is now only the 1600x1200 FireGL
V3200, all the others being plain T34's (at least in the UK): right?
Is there anything significant on the T43* range that doesn't work?
I'll probably be recommending something like the 1400x1050 2668F7G
model.

I read on the ThinkWiki Sata page:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Talk:Problems_with_SATA_and_Linux

that DVD burning may not work with 2.6.14, and maybe CD burning:
is this still true?  I'm presuming the SATA hard drive will be fine on
an up-to-date distro with 2.6.14 (probably Fedora)?

Any other catches?  I have the IBM atheros a/b/g wireless card, but I
presume the shipping Intel a/b/g (is it the 2915?) is fine these days?

Finally, not much mention of Linux and the new Lenovo Z-series machines
- I assume no-one's really got this going yet, so I should discount them
from consideration?

Honey