[ltp] IBM Access button

Paul Michael Reilly linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:20:17 -0500

honey <gneeki@gmail.com> writes:

 > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
 >
 > > FWIW, I impulsively flushed my A31P hard drive when I bought the
 > > system a few years back and then installed Fedora Core.  Life was fine
 > > until recently when smartd started reporting bad sectors.  I called
 > > IBM and learned there is now a $52 charge for recovery media.  So I
 > > would have been wiser to have made a backup or left the 10G recovery
 > > partition in place.
 >
 > I'm very much in the minority camp of leaving it on the disk too, for
 > this reason: instant access to diagnostics even if nothing else.  But
 > then, I hang on to XP for nostalgic reasons, and boot it once every 6
 > months or so: usually to verify to IBM that what I have is a hardware
 > problem (it's hard for them to argue if something doesn't work in
 > Windows and Linux).
 >
 > Is it really 10GB?  I could swear it was only 2-3GB on my T40.  At the
 > time the "wasted" space seemed absolutely negligible compared to
 > scrabbling round in cupboards for diagnostic CDs later.

10GB is what I heard from a woman with an Indian accent.  It did
strike me as a tad high too.  There is no way I want to backup even
3-4GB onto multiple CD-ROMs.  I know for a fact that there are two
recovery CD-ROMs for my A22P so requiring a partition size much bigger
than 1.5G seems unreasonable.  I'll know in a few days when I rebuild
the XP hard drive.

-pmr