[ltp] Replacement hdd in R40e

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:25:50 +1300

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:40, Paul Hornshaw wrote:
> I've got a 30GB hdd in my R40e.  I'm dual-booting Win XP and SuSE 9.2
> and I'm finding it a little cramped.
>
> If I get a bigger hdd and fit it myself, will I invalidate my warranty?
> I've got a set of IBM's restore CDs, as the restore partition had duff
> zips on it, CRC errors, when I tested the restore facility the day I
> bought it so will the new hdd be OK to use these CDs on?
>
> And, what would people recommend as a good, quick replacement hdd?  Can
> this machine take a 7,200rpm drive?  I've downloaded the manual for this
> machine and the procedure doesn't look too difficult/dangerous, has
> anyone already done this, and, if so, any hints or tips for me, please.

I have put one of these in my R40:-
hda: SAMSUNG MP0804H, ATA DISK drive
hda: max request size: 1024KiB
hda: 156368016 sectors (80060 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63,
UDMA(100)
hda: cache flushes supported
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 hda7 >

fyi:-
imogen ~ # hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:        1396 MB in  2.00 seconds = 698.16 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   44 MB in  3.03 seconds =  14.52 MB/sec

It makes a bit more noise that the original 20Gbyte drive but has been
absolutely hassle free. I didn't worry about the Windows recovery
partition and I'm very happy with it.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/SpinPointMSeries/HardDiskDrive_SpinpointMseries_MP0804H_sp.htm

--
CS