[ltp] tp_smapi 0.09 (dual battery, extended status support)

Paul RIVIER linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 00:22:03 +0000

Shem Multinymous wrote:

>On 12/13/05, Paul RIVIER <paul.rivier@eleve.emn.fr> wrote:
>

>>On my T42, I have 2 batteries, the normal one plus the ultrabay one.
>>Considering that the default (hardware ?) policy is to completely
>>discharge the ultrabay first then the normal battery, my ltrabay battery
>>is totaly discharged very often. As discussed many times on this forums,
>>that arms it and it's lifetime went from 25Wh to 19 Wh in 4 months.
>>

>Yes, that's pretty silly of them, isn't it? Also, one use of the
>Ultrabay battery could have been as backup when hotswapping the system
>battery.
>

>>That is why I tried to find a way to switch the normal battery to power
>>the laptop as soon as the ultrabay runs short, lets say 10% remaining.
>>As I never need the full battery life (more than 5h now thanks to
>>lowering voltages), this policy would prevent both batteries from
>>getting totaly empty.
>>
>>Can SMAPI give me this choice ?
>>

>Probably yes. But I haven't figured out the relevant interfaces, and I
>won't be able to do so without an Ultrabay battery.
>
>  Shem

I'd love to let you use mine but I'm in scotland now, then I'll be back
in france in may, then I will be in spain. I guess your are not from
those area :)
If you know precisely the fees to ship it to you for a month or so, let
me know. I am only a student, but I think it is worth the cost.

paul