[ltp] hdparm & spindown time : still having problems

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:29:20 -0500

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 12:47:09AM +0000, Paul RIVIER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for a reason I really can't understand, issuing hdparm -S 5 /dev/hda
> will never spin the disk down.
> I know that was already discussed here, but not really solve.
>
> This is not a problem of IO on the disk, as I use laptop mode and a
> hdparm -y /dev/hda command will spin it down perfectly and until then
> next IO call.
>
> But once awoken, it will not spin down again by itself ... Or sometime,
> but not in the same "session" ...
> Maybe the smart ?

Just to confirm that I have same behavior here at T43 Ubuntu Hoary
5.04. Kernel with SATA patches from thinkwiki. I thought it was an
issue of my SATA/PATA pass-through but apparently not. Anyway I've been
manually spinning down hard drive with
hdparm -y /dev/sda
and since my laptop-mode enable me to spin down for 20 minutes it's
not too much a burden. But still this is not what it supposed to be.
My drive is a Hitachi travelstar 7200rpm, 60GB.
Jiang