[ltp] hdparm & spindown time : still having problems

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:23:47 -0500

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 09:17:25PM +0100, Javier (a.k.a AlBundy) wrote:
> On 12/14/05, Paul RIVIER <paul.rivier@eleve.emn.fr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > for a reason I really can't understand, issuing hdparm -S 5 /dev/hda
> > will never spin the disk down.
> > I know that was already discussed here, but not really solve.
> >
> > This is not a problem of IO on the disk, as I use laptop mode and a
> > hdparm -y /dev/hda command will spin it down perfectly and until then
> > next IO call.
>
> Maybe a problematic process.
>
> Can you post:
>  [root]# ps -aux
I doubt it is a problematic process because I monitor disk access from
gkrellm in real time and no disk access happen for a long time yet the
disk still doesn't spin down. Furthermore won't a problematic process
wake up the disk from hdparm -y sleep?
Jiang