[ltp] hdparm & spindown time : still having problems

Paul RIVIER linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:05:56 +0000

>I don´t know, but in hdparm manpage:
>·hdparm -y:   Force an IDE drive to immediately enter into "standby
>mode", usually causing it to spin down.

yes, and it works in this case.

>·hdparm -Y:  Force an IDE drive to immediately enter into "sleep
>mode", causing it to shut down completely. A hard or soft reset is
>required before the drive can be accessed again (the Linux IDE driver
>will automatically handle issuing a reset if/when needed).
>
>Linux IDE driver forces a reset if a process wants a disk access?. I don´t know.

as far as I know, it does not. Hard reboot require once hdparm -Y issued.

>Another posibility: do you use a journaled filesystem?. Look this:
>     http://bulma.net/body.phtml?nIdNoticia=1511

I do use a journalised FS, of course, but today it is really common and
that is not the cause of the problem.
Laptop mode is here to prevent those access.

Thank you

paul