[ltp] hdparm & spindown time : still having problems

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:08:57 -0500

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 02:11:01AM +0000, Paul RIVIER wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I investigated more about this problem, and I discovered something relly
> interesting.
> At least on my system :
>
> experiments done with laptop mode activated
>
> hdparm -B [1-256] /dev/hda  wont change any visible behaviour.
> hdparm -S t /dev/hda :
>
> Actually, disk will not spindown after t seconds of inactivity.
>
> BUT !!!!
> If I set -B 256, after *exactly t* seconds it will park the heads !
> If I sec -B (value<256), it will park the head as well, but sooner (when ?).

I'm really confused. What do you mean? Do you mean if you do
hdparm -B [1-256] /dev/hda
and
hdparm -S t /dev/hda
nothing happen but after that two steps *then* if you do
hdparm -B 256
after *t * second it spin down?
So what I need is hdparm -B 256 then hdparm -S t then hdparm -B 256?
Maybe I'm being dense but your email really confuse me.
Thanks in advance for clarification.
Jiang